Gunshot Localization System
Pinpoint and Eliminate Snipers
and Other Gunfire Threats
SWATSQinetiQ North America’s EARS® family of gunshot localization systems gives warfighters the situational awareness necessary to respond instantly and accurately to hostile attacks and to better protect themselves from snipers and other gunfire threats.
● EARS instantly detects and locates the origin of incoming hostile gunfire
● Alerts made with an audible voice announcement (e.g., “3 o’clock, 400 meters”).
● Body-worn, vehicle-mounted and fixed-site systems are available. All three variants use the core EARS sensor, which is an extremely small, lightweight, low-power, self-contained gunshot detector system.
● Built-in GPS location and timing, EARS provides on-demand visual and audible updates with the threat’s current direction and distance, even as the user changes position to move to cover or engage the threat.
● Provides geo-referenced threat positions to facilitate coordination with other military resources that might be needed to eliminate the threat.
SWATS empowers warfighters to go immediately from a defensive to an offensive posture when encountering enemy fire. Using the EARS sensor mounted on the warfighter’s non-firing shoulder, SWATS provides a hands-free voice alert, as well as a graphical threat display. SWATS is easy to use, comes with a pocket-sized, waterproof Quick Reference Guide and can be used effectively with minimal training. The entire SWATS system weighs less than 450g and operates for 14 hours on two CR123 batteries.
(Vehicle Mounted System)
The VMS kit repurposes a single EARS sensor for vehicle-mounted applications. The VMS includes a ruggedized mount, cabling and a power interface box for installation on a variety of vehicle platforms. EARS VMS is vehicle-powered and can be installed by one person in about 10 minutes with no specialized tools. No external or internal vehicle modifications are necessary. EARS VMS includes a ruggedized display unit and mounting bracket, as well as an audio output for connection to an in-vehicle loudspeaker or intercom system.
EARS FSS (Fixed Site System)
The FSS adapts the EARS sensor for stationary perimeter-protection applications. The FSS kit includes a tripod, tripod mount adaptor and a global AC/DC power adaptor. The power adaptor will support operation using a BA5590 battery, or mains voltage from 110V to 240V and 50/60 Hz. The FSS includes a ruggedized PDA display, as well as an audio output for connection to a speaker/audio system.